Friday, January 23, 2009

Fun Foods Friday!!!

This is my favorite soup at olive garden, but I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks...and I make it alot! :)

Pasta e Fagioli
(From the Ultimate Flex & Core Cookbook - Weight Watchers!)

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
(instead of celery - which I hate - I use carrots)
4 garlic cloves - sliced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (15.5oz) can cannellini beans - rinsed and drained
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 cup ditalini (or any small pasta)
3 tbsps chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp of dry)
1/4 tsp pepper
6 tbsps parmesan cheese

1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over high heat. Add the onion, celery (carrots), and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies start to soften - about 2 mins
2. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, and pasta; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover the saucepan and cook until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the cheese.


My Tips/Tricks: This is supposed to be a meatless option, but sometimes, I will add in ground meat (mainly turkey or chicken). Also, I will use chicken broth or beef broth to give it a little extra taste. I like to add fresh herbs when I get them (which isn't often.) Like I said, I use carrots instead of celery because I hate cooked celery...gag! But if you want, add both! This makes a nice big pot! It can be thick, so feel free to thin it out with another cup or two of broth or water.

I serve it with salad or sometimes grilled ham and cheese panini's or sandwiches!

Enjoy guys! :)

No comments: