Friday, November 5, 2010

Prematurity Awareness Month

*Side note - I met to put this up on Wed...now, on friday night, I do...slacker much?!*

Most of you who know me or have followed me for sometime know that I am a mommy to a preemie. My little man is now a 2 year old and mostly all caught up and is not longer really considered a preemie. Which is weird, what a change in my language, I had a preemie, now I have a normal toddler! Strange...

But just because he isn't technically a preemie any more, does not mean that I don't care about what I went through any less. If my story and my support of March of Dimes can help someone else not have to go through what I went through over 2 years ago, then I am gonna fight with all I have in my to make that possible.

I am saving the birth story (which you can click and get to on the side <-------) and special updates for Nov. 17th, but that doesn't mean I am not going to blog about a life changing circumstance.

Today I share with you some statistics and information.

First of all I had HELLP SYNDROME which is something that really isn't understood well. The scary thing is if/when I get pregnant again, I may or may not have it. I hate not knowing. Wikipedia says that normally it will happen later in pregnancy or after birth - not so much for me. I had it and gave birth at 29 weeks. It often is a variant to pre-eclampsia, which my dr. and I had just started realizing I was going to have. 

The HELLP part stands for: H - Hemolytic Anemia (which I don't think I had..), EL - Elevated Liver Enzymes - which I know I had for sure...I was in PAIN, and LP - Low Platelet Count...which I did have because I had to have a transfusion...

The exact cause of HELLP is unknown and the only treatment is immediately delivery. It's not something I would wish on anyone...

Now about prematurity in general: Here are some statistics....

* 1 in 8 babies in the US are born premature  (before 37 weeks).
* Premature birth is the number one cause of neonatal mortality in the US.
* The rate of premature birth has increased nearly 20% between 1990 & 2006
* Nearly 40% of premature births have no known cause.
* Risk factors for premature birth include maternal hormone imbalance, structural adnormality of the uterus, chronic illness, infection...
*Due to many recent advances, more than 90% of babies who weight 800 grams (a little less than 2lbs) survive. Those who weigh more than 500 grams (a little more than 1lb.) have a 40-50% chance of survival, although their chances of complications are greater.
* Most doctors define the age of viability at 24 weeks gestation.

  • Babies born at 23 weeks have a 17% chance of survival
  • Babies born at 24 weeks have a 39% chance of survival
  • Babies born at 25 weeks have a 50% chance of survival
  • From 32 weeks onwards, most babies are able to survive with the help of medical Technology


Ok so this is just some of the statistics. Pretty interesting I think


Looking Ahead:
Wed. Nov. 10 -  I will share with you some medical terms I never thought I'd know
Wed. Nov 17 - Prematurity Awareness Day - I will share our story
Wed. Nov 24 - I will share with you what these past 2.5 years have been like....and where we do from here.


3 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed my Post. I'm following you. My last child was premature. At 7 1/2 months we found that everything was backwards meaning the baby was where the after-birth should be and.. etc. She was 3.1lbs when she was born. If they did not take her she would've drowned in her own fluids & I would've bled to death. She was so tiny I dressed her in dollbaby clothes & they fit perfect. She is now 30 yrs. old and has her own baby who is 3.

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

hey denise, thank you for bringing me awareness to this! 27 weeks is too soon to give birth, but i am glad your premie baby is now a healthy toddler.
i had gestational diabetes in my 1st pregnancy and induced at 38-weeks but even that is considered full term.
i am looking forward to read your story.

Anonymous said...

Hi There!
My son was a 28 weeker, he is 3 now and still doesn't talk and has a G-tube, he doesn't play with toys, when did your son talk? did he have any problems eating? I am going to add you on twitter and hopefull we can talk!, @momstateofmind