Thursday, March 31, 2011

Parental Advice

Help!

So Parker has started this thing where when he gets upset he will throw himself to the ground on his tummy and start hitting his head against the floor. (it almost sounds like he says "Bad Parker..."). Now he doesn't do it all the time and I can almost always get him to stop...but my question is

IS THIS NORMAL?

Do I need to be overly concerned?

Should I call his Dr?

Find him a therapist? <----- this question is merely a joke! :)

But in all seriousness, he's definitely in a tantrum stage, but this new habit kinda freaks me out a bit.

Also, when he gets REALLY mad, he will hit things.

Example: Yesterday I told him he couldn't have a cookie till he finished dinner. He got upset and started hitting the table with his hand - hard. Maybe as if he was taking out aggression?

Does this mean he's gonna be a fighter not a lover?

Am I the ONLY parent that deals with this? Did I do something wrong? Am I over worrying? (Yes!)

So Parents out there - new and old - I ask you for help? What should I do?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oohh, isnt parenting the hardest job in all the world? every kid does there own thing, and im guessing this will just be a 'stage' for him. (not fond of that term... but for lack of better words.) my kids are a bit older, but one thing i tell them all the time (and i tell myself too...) is "it is totally ok to be mad/angry/sad... but what we do with our madness/anger/sadness is what we have to be careful about" that helps us out a little :) (we have a lot of 'our hands are not for hitting' and 'we need to use our words' a lot around here too :) (((HUGS)))

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) said...

there was a time when my now 4-year old Matthew would bang his head on the wall while he cried hysterically. I think that was before he turned 2. It was a phase because for a long time now, he doesn't do it anymore.

Maybe telling him constantly - "Don't do that. You'll hurt yourself." will help.

Hang in there!