Friday, November 12, 2010

Thursday Yumminess (on Friday)

I said I would post recipes this week and I wasn't lying. Unfortunately yesterday I as sick with a tummy bug/migraine so I forgot! But here are some recipes I wanted to share from my menu plans.

Harvest Ham Steaks
(From Busy People's Low-Fat cookbook)


4 (4oz) ham steaks
8 tsp. apple butter

1) Spray grill or skillet with non fat cooking spray.
2) Heat to medium
3) Put ham steaks on grill
4) Spread 1 tsp of your favorite apple butter on top of each ham steak while on grill.
5) After turning the ham steak over, spread a second tsp of apple butter on top of each steak.
6) Once bottom of steak is cooked, turn steak over a second time. Cook only for a couple minutes, just enough to caramelize the apple butter.

(Thats all folks - easy peasy lemon squeezy)

Swiss Steak & Potatoes
(from busy peoples low fat cookbook)


1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes, not drained
1 (12oz) jar of fat free beef gravy
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 pound bag fresh mini carrots
2 medium onions, quartered
1lb. eye of round, cut into 1/2 inch thick steaks
4 medium potatoes, washed

1) Spray a slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray.
2) In  a large bowl combine the tomatoes, gravy, thyme, carrots, and onions together until well mixed.
3) Place the meat into the mixture, making sure the meat is completely covered in sauce - transfer to slow cooker
4) Place potatoes on top.
5) Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. The recipe is completely cooked after documented time; however, the meal can remain in slow cooker for up to an hour longer w/out burning.

We are actually having this tonight, but it already smells incredible! I had to change it a bit, I didn't have stewed so I used fire roasted tomatoes and a little bit of beef broth instead of gravy since I didn't have it.

1 comment:

Velvet Over Steel said...

Great recipe!! Thanks for sharing. My son, the culinary student, will love this & I'll help of course! ...shopping and dishes... lol

Have a Great weekend!!
Hugs,
Coreen