Saturday, March 14, 2009

Something I do NOT suggest...

...being in the emergency department of Children's Hospital for 12.5 hours. THAT'S RIGHT - 12.5 hours...

Last night is when it all started. Drew and I were hanging out, headed to bed when we heard Parker fussing - we didn't think anything of it, Parker fusses...but it was odd, I would go in and check on him and he would be a sleep, but wincing and that's when I noticed how he was breathing. It was not normal...far from it. He was labored, I could see ribs, and it was so fast...75 breaths per minute (that's too many!) We called our Ped's office and talked with the on call doctor. He suggested the ER and we packed up Parker and headed there.

We got there almost at midnight. Waited FOREVER to just get registered. We basically immediately got taken back to triage. And quickly ushered to an exam room. There, Parker has 3 breathing treatments and he couldn't keep his oxygen saturation level up. After 3 hours there, we were moved to observation. They were discussing the likely hood of Parker having asthma. We spent the rest of our time in observation - it was a long night as Parker did not want to sleep at all.

Parker ended up having 10 breathing treatments during his stay. He was diagnosed with asthma and RAD. We finally got discharged at 6:15 tonight. Parker will require the use of albuterol for the next few days. Also, he will have to take some steroids orally. It's going to be a long few days. He is doing a lot better right now, but I am scared that I will miss a treatment. I want to just sit and watch him breath!

Unfortunately we have to get rid of our cat - we are all pretty much convinced that is part of the problem. She will be going and staying with Drew's parents. :( I am so sad, I grew up around a lot of animals so to go to nothing will be hard. I also have to go through and thoroughly clean our house, dust, vacuum and get some air filters to run.

So yah, that was my saturday...how was yours? please keep us in your prayers.

2 comments:

Kathy Hardison said...

I know that had to be scary. I pray that Parker will improve and all of you will get some rest. (Morgan Kate's grandmother).

Carrie said...

Denise, I'm praying for you guys - hope you all can get some rest tonight! I'm sorry you have to get rid of your cat. :( Hopefully Parker will be feeling better soon, though, and this, like all the other rough times of parenting will pass quickly. :) Hang in there!!!