Monday, October 12, 2009

What EXACTLY is he learning???

So here's my thing - I love Noggin (now Nick Jr.) and I honestly don't mind most of the shows on there...there are a few I will not allow Parker to watch (Yo Gabba Gabba, Lazytown to name 2). And I do let him watch a most on there (not all day mind you). But as we watch some of the shows...I wonder...if I should not allow him to watch a couple...Let's say I have some beef with a couple of shows.

Max and Ruby:
My beef with this show is this:
1. Ruby - her little miss know-it-all attitude. I mean really. Max is what 2? 3? and doesn't want to play with her and do girl stuff - and she acts like he has to do EVERYTHING she says. REALLY? What on earth does this teach? How is this appropriate for a preschooler to watch.
2. Parents - WHERE THE HECK ARE THEIR PARENTS???? You never see them - ever. You see Grandma on occasion, but she doesn't live there. Why on earth is Ruby in charge of everything? She's what maybe 7 and she takes her little brother to the park with out supervision? She makes him food, she cooks by herself. Again, what on earth does this teach?

I just don't get it?

The Wonder Pets
My beef with this show is:
1. Honestly, this may be one of my favorite shows that Parker watches. But Ming-Ming's attitude ANNOYS me! She acts like she's the best thing since sliced bread...seriously. And what's with her trying to take over Linny's position in the group? And why does she think she can do everything herself? It's supposed to be about TEAMWORK!

It makes me wonder what the writers of these shows are thinking. Ya know, these are supposed to be preschool shows and teach good things...but what exactly are children learning when they see a little girl taking care of her brother by herself and acting like she knows EVERYTHING? Or what are they supposed to think when they see a cute little chick posing a real attitude about teamwork and wanting to do it by herself?

I honestly used to care less - anything to keep Parker happy and entertained - what.ev.er! But as he gets older - it hits me, what on earth am I allowing to be put into his head?

Anyways, so that's my beef...and now I am going to go eat - because talking about beef made me hungry! :)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

We've never watched the wonder pets, but yeah, with Max & Ruby, I had the same thoughts! We really only watch Sesame Street & Veggie Tales, since I know what those are about. :)