Sunday, February 28, 2010

Deni's Buffet 'O Thoughts

Hello Peoples!

So so sorry I haven't updated in a few days. Our laptop has enter through the gates of glory into laptop heaven and while yes, we have a desk top, I've been BUSY and can't really use it when Parker's up because it's in our bedroom and he liked to pull out my undies! (Just sayin!) So hence, no updates to el blog for a while...

But if you like buffets and all it has to offer than you will LOVE this blog today. It's about as random as random gets...actually maybe not. But it offers a little bit of everything, happy news, sad news, a recipe, Parker news, prayer requests, me being all mature and stuff. So sit back, relax and take a load off while we dive in.

1) Parker News

I think we will start off with this, after all, he's the whole reason you come to this thing isn't he? (I don't blame you!) He's doing Ah-maz-ing. Seriously, except for the whole whiney toddler thing this boy is just getting so stinking big! See, here's a couple pictures as proof...





sorry about the quality, our digital is MIA and so I've been using my iphone! P.S. in the bottom one he found an m&m. Anyways, like I said, he's doing great. He got a second hair cut this week, horribly unemotional compared to his first, but boy was it fun. He sat in the chair like a big boy, flirted and did great! He looks so good now and no more rat tail. He also got kicked out of PT this week. Actually they dismissed him, he's just dandy in the physical department. Right on track. Still has 2 months of ST, but we know he could use a little more time there. He's pushing my buttons EVERY chance he gets and I am working on making days more structured. I am terrible at that! He had his first cold since going on his flovent a month ago and never had any breathing issues. I am so excited that I finally understand his asthma enough now! Praise Jesus!

2) Me Stuff

And now on to the boring things...me. Let's see, I am kinda on a diet, I was gun hoe (is that how you say it?) about it and am struggling. I have successfully switched to diet soda and have limited my intake, so that's good. I am trying to eat smaller portions and healthy, but that can be a challenge. Especially right now (mmmmmm girl scout cookies!) Let's see, Oh I went to a seminar yesterday called Joni & Friends - Raise the Roof. If you don't know the story of Joni Ereckson Tata, at the age of 16 she went swimming, dived intp shallow water and broke her neck. She is quadriplegic. She has her organization that works with disabled children in churches as well as the churches so that they can have disability ministry. Our church is growing and we realize that we need to start looking ahead and getting knowledge on disability ministry so that we can help future visitors feel completely comfortable at our church. And so I was asked to go and I gained some AMAZING knowledge on it. I look forward to helping our church grow.

3) Other Stuff

Faith, the little girl I told you about who was just diagnosed with a brain tumor is holding steady. She and her family certainly need prayers as it's super hard to watch your child suffer, but they are doing their best to enjoy her. She now not only has her caring bridge site, but also her own site here: Help Faith. It's still brand new so there isn't much to it yet, but it's a way to stay connected and donate. PLEASE PRAY FOR THEM!

I came across another family a while ago whose 2 year old is suffering from neuroblastoma and really could meet her father in heaven very soon! My heart breaks for this family, but as I read their updates on both their blog and twitter I am amazed at the faith they have and the strength this little 2 year old is showing. PLEASE PRAY FOR THEM!

One more person I'd like to share with you is Dave Plaster. He is a minister here in Columbus at a local church. He just recently fell very ill and has not been able to be diagnosed. He's currently up at a hospital here in Cleveland, but his prognosis looks very grim. Please pray for him and his family. He's quite a loved pastor, though I don't know him, I've heard great things. You can check updates on here at his site here. PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM.

My goal is to share prayer requests outside of my family as much as possible now. While I certainly love that you pray for us and I am sure you will, there are just so many heart wrenching stories out there and if I can shine a light on a few here or there. I want to. I want this blog to not only be about me, but to share my faith and to show you other's you can be loving towards.

4) Num, Num, Num - A Recipe

Finally for you today I have a recipe of something I made this week that's simple and healthy and will yummy.

Penne with Asparagus & Parmesan

1/2 pound penne
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 garlic clove - thinly sliced
1 (14.5oz) can of diced tomatoes, with their juice
1/2 cup reduced fat chicken broth
1 lb. asparagus, cut on the diagonal in 1 in. peices
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1) Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the penne according to package directions, drain and keep warm in pot.
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, cook just until it begins to turn golden. Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, cover and simmer until tender about 5 minutes longer; pour over the penne. Add the basil and Parmesan cheese, to to coat.

Super simple and if you are on weight watchers it's from one of their books and is 6 points. This make 4 servings btw!

I'm done with my buffet, have a great day!

4 comments:

Ali said...

Buffet's are good :)

Love those pics of your little man.

LOVE Joni - what a great opportunity.

Renee said...

Wow, Parker is growing so much! It's amazing how they grow. Glad that his asthma is doing better and that he doesn't need PT anymore. That's pretty exciting.

And it is always good to hear what you are up to these days :-).

I was sorry to hear about Pastor Plaster - many of the churches here in Warsaw are very distressed over his condition also, since he has worked with Grace College's seminary over the years. Small world. I know I'll be praying for him as well. I'll also be praying for the families you spoke so movingly about with their situations.

Marla Taviano said...

I really liked this post. :)

Heatherlyn said...

Parker is soooo cute!